Week 5 Story: Happily Never After




(Photo of Ravana and Sita, obtained through Google search and can be found here)


****perspective of Sita*****

Its been months since I have last seen my lovely Rama, and oh how I miss him. I miss seeing his sweet face, him holding me to remind me I am protected from the dangers of the jungle. I get solace looking up at the night sky, knowing Rama is looking at the same stars and moon, and that one day we can look at them together. Ravana's soothing tone sometimes tempts me to succumb, shamefully I admit, but I know Rama wouldn't leave me here. After everything we have been through and everything I have given up. He knows how dearly I love my family and how hard my decision was to follow him, he values that and I know that. 

I saw Hanuman about a month ago, but a whole month has passed, but still nothing. My greatest fear would be that he told Rama of me, and Rama could care less. We will see.


******a few weeks later******

I'm still lonely waiting for Rama. The other day, I decided to talk more to Ravana after he attempted to celebrate my birthday. It was quite a lonesome birthday, surrounded by him and his minions, but still thoughtful nonetheless. He had a great feast, music, dancing, and presents- yet my most favorite present was probably the most simple. He brought a platter with dishes from my hometown. It made me incredibly homesick, but I thought it was kind. We talked about everything, from his childhood to his views and even why he kidnapped me. I do not approve, but it was a tender side I have not seen from the aggressive, selfish side I'm used to.


*****2 months later*******

Ah! Alas! Rama has come to my rescue, as I knew he would! It was so glorious! He came in so heroic, followed by a courageous army. They built a bridge from India to Lanka! I can not even imagine being able to witness that process. He and Ravana fought tirelessly for what seemed days, but I asked Rama to spare Ravana (as we have become close friends). He did so, and saved Lanka. I am so happy to be saved. I can not wait to see everyone and live the life I have dreamed for Rama and I!


****3 weeks later*******

I can not believe it. Rama has asked me to undergo a purity test. I am unsure if I will go through with this. I love him so dearly, but what kind of insult is this? If I wanted or had anything to do with Ravana, I would have not come back with Rama. I think it is because I asked him to spare Ravana, but what does he expect! I was alone for a year and Ravana was a source of friendship and comfort.

****2 days later*****

I have decided to not go through with the fire purity test. I told Rama I was considering it, but he yelled at me, showing me a belligerent side I forgot he had, and thought would dissipate from our time apart. Clearly nothing has changed. After everything...


*****6 months later****

I am happy to announce Ravana and I are expecting our first child, or should I say two! We are having twins. It was not an easy decision to leave Rama, but I felt the best. I still had so much hostility towards Ravana, but after experiencing Rama's behavior, I needed a friend. I had a messenger send for him and Ravana brought me back. I told him I would return, but under the condition he respects me and allows me to visit home as often as I please. I also told him I wanted a more lowkey life, for both humility and our safety, which he agreed to. He told me that ultimately he praises me above everything in his life. I really wish he would not dote on me so much, but it is nice to feel important. The wedding was everything I could have asked for, and more. However, it was kind of awkward running into Maricha, but then again, I would not have been with Ravana if the golden deer incident never happened. I really love this new life so far.



Author's Note: 

Last week, I wrote a piece set in modern times where Sita found a new career and love interest amidst Rama's "exile". The story really did not have a 'Ravana' nor did it really deal with her 'impurity', it was focused more on the consequences of Rama's decision to exile. She was not going to dote or wait for him. Rather, she moved on with her life to live the best life she can. I felt she deserved this ending given the pain she suffered in the original Rama from leaving her social life to follow him, being exiled, kidnapped, and later abandoned. In this story, I want to tackle this same scene again, but not in modern times, rather, it's original setting. I firmly believed Ravana loved Sita more then Rama and deserves a chance to be with her. Hopefully my story can be that "chance".

In this version, I tried to capture that love between the two. I tried to focus more on her time being kidnapped and her life with Ravana because those are "my additions" to the retelling of the story. I wanted to give the story in her opinion, to humanize her and defend her decisions (not that it needs to be defended). This is based on Sita Sings the Blues.

I have a feeling many students are going to write about the purity test or Rama/Sita's relationship post-rescue. I think this is for just reason! This scene is layered in sexism- while it may seem sexist because Sita is being thrown to the side despite her sacrifices, it is "not" sexist because she chose to- but nevertheless realizing this continues the expectation women have to take on the burdens of others. This story is clearly an old one- which furthermore exemplifies these "expectations" women had. While it may have been more extreme then, it still existed and affects culture today to some degree. These patterns may not dictate modern society as closely as the Bible does, but definitely was the "standard" then. This standard has been expanded upon, reformed, adjusted, but it still was the original foundation of this social structure.

Bibliography: Nina Paley, Sita Sings the Blues, 2008


Comments

  1. Howdy Maya,
    I enjoyed reading your story. I really liked how your story was short and sweet, yet it covered an abundance of Rama and Sita's love story. Also, I loved the imagery you had going at the beginning of the story. It really made me feel like I could feel the exact same emotions as Sita was feeling. Overall, your version of "Sita Sings the Blues" was great! I look forward to reading some more of your stories in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Maya! Awesome story you have here! In the sentence that reads "I miss seeing his sweet face, him holding me to remind me I am protected from the dangers of the jungle." I think you need to add "and I miss" before "him" and remove the comma. You could rearrange that sentence in a number of ways or split it into two sentences. Overall I really liked your story and I hope to read more of your stories in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maya! I like how this story was done in Sita's perspective because it shows how her loneliness grew over the year. Sita's experiences with accepting Ravana's kindness and talking to him to not feel lonely is like real life issues such as Stockholm syndrome. I was not expecting the '6 months late Ravana and I are having twins' I was like "WHAT?!?" lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maya,

    Your story was so interesting! I was totally thrown off when you mentioned that Ravana and Sita were having children. I really like how you did make this to where she took care of herself and would not take the nonsense of going through the fire. I agree that the story is largely sexist, and I really liked your take on it! I really loved the Sita Sings the Blues take you took on your story. It was really great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction of a Hopeful Soon-To-Be Psychology Undergraduate Graduate

Week 2 Story: The Trustworthy Crane