Topic Research: Ravana


(Ravana and Sita, image can be sourced here)



Right now, I am between the Ravana and Maya topics. I chose Ravana for this project because I found more resources I would be able to use, but I'm hoping as we continue reading I have some more Maya stories I can use.


Three stories I could use: Ravana and SitaThe Golden Deer, and the comic The Lord of Lanka: The Rise and Fall of a Demon King.

Ravana and Sita: I think if you read the Ramayana in chronological order (like we have for this class) you are probably against Ravana. But when reading this story by itself, you can't help but feel bad for Ravana in a way. He is admiring Sita and Sita first confides in him believing he is a brahmin but when she finds out Ravana is not a brahmin and likes her, she basically shuts him down in one of the most humiliating and hurtful ways a crush can turn someone down. Even if someone does not like love stories, I think heart-break is relatable as well. Ravana may not have the best morals, but if he is treated like this, one can't help but sympathize and even hope he gets his revenge. If I were to retell the story of Ravana, I want to humanize him and this story does exactly that.


The Golden Deer: I am a big fan of this story. It mentions and demonstrates 'maya' which is another topic I am interested in or integrating. As the title suggests, the 'illusion' is the deer. Sita is attracted to this deer which is the "realness" but it is not really a deer but Maricha disguised so this is the allusion. I think the story offers a good plot to go off of if I were to retell. I really like the example of 'Maya' which is an distinguishing aspect of ancient Indian literature. I think in terms of the Ravana topic, it exemplifies the lengths Ravana will go to. If I'm writing a story from his perspective, I think this story shows why he is "perceived" as evil but maybe try to justify how he feels through my retelling of the story.

The Lord of Lanka: The Rise and Fall of a Demon King: There are a lot of stories that can be used from this, especially Ravana's luck with women (to humanize him as mentioned before). I think his downfall can be a source of inspiration- the Ramayana builds his character up but ultimately it is this downfall that negates all of that. Fight scenes can be emotional so this is another possible route to take if I do not focus on the 'love' aspect.

Comments

  1. Hi Maya,
    I thought it was interesting that with your topic research about Ravana and Sita you want to humanize Ravana. In all the stories I have read so far Ravana has been the "big bad guy". I mean he did kidnap Sita. However, I would be interested to read like a love story between Ravana and Sita. I wonder would you still make it a one sided love story or would Sita return the affection?
    Your classmate,
    Joanna Yoon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction of a Hopeful Soon-To-Be Psychology Undergraduate Graduate

Week 2 Story: The Trustworthy Crane