Reading Notes: Sita Sings the Blues; Ramayana Part B

(One of the video stills from the movie, Sita Sings the Blues; can be obtained here)



I watched Sita Sings the Blues by Nina Paley. The movie makes some great points. For one, how wrong it was for Rama to banish her after proving herself after the fire test. Sita was taken against her will, and the very fact she was left her life to follow him but also was willing to do the test shows her love and how much she values Rama's opinion. Yet, it still can be understandable why Rama had fears and if this test would dispel it, that seems kind of fair. The fact even after she has proven herself, Rama doesn't reciprocate the same feelings. This is sad, but the film also points out how Sita was too devoted to Rama. He never asked her to leave her family, and she wants to be with him so she knowingly took on this burden herself when she did not have to. I will admit, before the movie, I mostly considered Sita's position because I feel there is always this standard for women to sacrifice (relationships, work, families, etc). I still believe it is unfair to treat Sita like this, but after seeing Rama's perspective, I realize maybe there would have been a better solution. Rama does not have to stay or sacrifice for someone he does not want to, even if the other is willing to him, but he should not have lead her on. He knew there was a limit on his love while she proved there was not for him. This message is somewhat implied (obviously if he banishes her after all of that I think Sita knows), but if it were more explicit and earlier, I think it would have then strengthen Rama's position. The movie even shows her allowing the kids to praise their dad after her exile. 

Last week, I created a modernized story touching this subject. Sita and Rama do not end up together and she actually marries a woman. I mentioned in the Author's Note how I felt even Ravana, the villain, loved her more than Rama even though he showed it in the wrong ways. I think rewriting the story with a more sympathetic view highlighting his positive qualities, and even her possibly ending up with Ravana might be interesting.

I love love loved the imagery and cinematography of this. It revitalizes an "ancient" story.


Bibliography: Nina Paley, Sita Sings the Blues, 2008

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction of a Hopeful Soon-To-Be Psychology Undergraduate Graduate

Week 2 Story: The Trustworthy Crane