Week 2 Story: The Trustworthy Crane


(photo of Crazy Legs Crane Cartoon, can be sourced here)

The most current version of this story can be obtained on my Portfolio page which can be seen here.

Once upon a time existed a zoological aquatic habitat consisting of fish, lobsters, jellyfish, sea turtles, and more that varied in colors, shapes, and sizes. While happy for being well-fed and well taken care of, many of these creatures still yearned to see beyond the the realms of their zoo captivity. It so happened that a month prior, the aquatic habitat was moved to the other side of the facility to make room for new primate installation. It should also be noted that animals were used to eating prepared meals so they did not eat each other. Such a concept was considered cannibalism and absurd. The new placement helped the aquatic creatures to have more interaction with 'freed' animals.  One day, a crane somehow found its way to the edge of the pool.

The crane asked, "My, my, what a set up. But this is nothing in comparison to a lake I pass by"

One of the baby fish asked, "What is the lake like?"

The crane responded, "It's just across the bay.  There, they have abundant food and no restrictions on how much or when to eat. You can swim wherever you like. The water is more pure and not polluted with cleaning chemicals. You have privacy, and especially no humans tapping the glass while you sleep. It is hard to articulate.. but I could show you if you would like?"

The baby fish responded "Yes sir! I want to go please! But Mr. Crane, why do you not live there?"

"I would live there but I have nowhere to stay as most of my family is here at the zoo which is why I am here. I do stop by time to time but it is extremely hot in the day-time." The crane answered.

Immediately after this conversation, an older, wise fish of the group emerged from his sand cave. He was a respected elder not simply for his age, but was a rescue fish so he had actually seen the depths of the wild before being in the zoo. The bird units were on the other side of the facility so there was no way to confirm the crane's credibility.

"What is this I hear of the wild? " he asked in a distrusting grumble.

"I was just hoping to show everyone how great the outside world can be", said the crane.

“What are your intentions, really? I am no fool, I have seen how you wild animals gobble up us fish” the fish retorted back.

The crane quickly uttered “Sir, I can only imagine what it is like to be cooped up in here. Many of these fish have no idea what they are missing.”

"In that case, I will be the first to go" said the old fish.

The crane agreed to this, and opened his beak. He scooped some of the water for the old fish to be able to breath and they were off. The crane took the old fish to a nearby lake. The crane was right, there was abundant algae (food of choice of the fish), and so many more species of animals in the lake. The lake fish informed the older fish that they had an agreement with nearby potential predators to not eat them. As the crane said, there were no trees or vegetation near so he could see how it can be hot during the day. All the lake fish were extremely friendly and lived in communities. The older fish saw how this might be of better benefit and better quality of life for his community back at the pool.

The two returned back to the zoo pool and the old fish told all the other fish of his adventure. The fish told the others to go, but be careful. He recommended he would go with the first batch of fish, and then be the only one to return to let the others know they made it safely. With each batch going to the lake, one fish from the batch would remain in the beak to return to the zoo pool to ensure no fish were eaten. This way, if they did not return, the others would know not to trust the crane. All the fish ended up making it to the lake safely.

All the fish were happy with the lake. The crane offered to take them between the zoo and the lake, but the fish enjoyed the much more lively nature of the lake better.  As a thanks, they convinced the nearby crabs and lobsters to build a small hut out of sticks for him to sleep and lay. When they showed the crane this, he cried tears of happiness. He had a new home and family he had missed.  

Authors Note:
I wanted to keep this story somewhat similar to the original, because I wanted to show that fish can look out for themselves. It is hard creating an optimistic vision of the competitive world of prey/predators and cutting out the crab, but letting the fish redeem themselves was an important aspect for me. This is why I kept the fish, the crane, and the overall message of the golden rule. I also wanted to show that harm does not have to happen for a lesson of the golden rule. The crane was honest and in return he received a family and home which he yearned for. It was also hard to find a good and interesting picture of a crane; while on the search I found this image from a cartoon which I thought was cute.

Bibliography:
"The Cunning Crane and the Crab" from The Giant Crab, and Other Tales from Old India by W. H. D. Rouse. Web Source

Comments

  1. Awww, this story had a much sweeter ending than the crane getting his head cut off. I like the details you put in to explain how the fish kept the crane accountable by sending the Old Fish back each time to make sure nobody was getting eaten. My only issue would be if you could explain a little more how the fish and predators came to a peace treaty. I think that might be interesting and would help clear up some questions. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I agree. When I was writing I felt I needed to explain that part more but it was honestly kind of difficult taking into account all the predators/competition in nature. I will try to be more aware of this and expand more next time!

      Delete
  2. Hey Maya, great story! I think you made an interesting choice changing the outcome of the story, and I enjoyed reading the wholesome interaction between the crane and the fish. I think the setting is also quite interesting because the fish are not dying in a pond that is shriveling up. I like your story and look forward to future ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so nice! I really liked how the older fish was wise about situation but wasn't overly skeptical. He kept the other fish safe but didn't miss out on the great opportunity that the crane presented. I did have an almost audible "aww" when the crabs built the crane the house. You also kind of modernize the story by putting it into a zoo with all sorts of exhibits which was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maya!
    I liked your story quite a bit and enjoyed the fact that you made the fish stronger characters than in the original. I thought that it was smart to have at least one fish go back and forth to make sure that everything was safe for the rest. Also, what happened to the jellyfish? Did they move too or did they get left behind in the zoo enclosure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Unfortunately I think the jellyfish got left behind :/

      Delete
  5. Hi Maya!
    I thought your story was really cute and enjoyable to read. It also had an optimistic ending, which I was not expecting but I really liked. You also went into a lot of detail setting up the background of the story, which really played into the fish's innocence and how they would never dream of being eaten by a predator.
    Something that I wondered about was that if the old fish had spent time in the outside world and had observed predators eating his own kind, which is why he was understandably wary, why would he volunteer to be in the crane's beak? If the crane had actually had nefarious intentions and decided that one fish was better than nothing, he would be dead.
    And lastly, what if you expanded on the crane's intentions a bit? Since I was not expecting the ending, I think it would be useful to set up a bit more of the crane's character and why he would choose to help out a pool of fish that he barely knows. Overall, a really fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comment!! I had the old fish volunteer because he had less to lose being old. He knows what the crane is capable of and so if he loses his life, it is okay because he is old already compared to the fish who have more time to live! That is also why I partly set up the system where one goes back to prove to the other fish the crane is safe- in the original no fish goes back so they take the crane's word. As for the second part, I tried to not expand too much on the crane's intentions because there is meant to be a suspense! I wanted the reader to not expect him to help the fish, kind of not knowing if he was good or bad. I also forget some of the readers have not read the original so it might not be as clear- I think I could do a better job making these more clear! That way it flows better and makes more sense. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction of a Hopeful Soon-To-Be Psychology Undergraduate Graduate